Thursday, January 18, 2007

A probing question

One of my OCM proctors (himself a 9i/10g OCM) poses this question to determine how well you understand Oracle architecture:
How does a transaction get processed in a Shared Server Installation?

The idea is that if you answer in a flat 5 minutes, you are screwed. =) One should first understand how a transaction is processed in a single-threaded (easy) environment, and then know the multi-threaded architecture well enough to incorporate knowledge of how a transaction is processed. He said that the answer should take about 30 minutes or so.

I bring this to light because I am making this one of my goals. I need goals to shoot for because I often find that I need a sense of direction. I am one of those people that, when mowing a lawn, cannot walk straight unless I set my eyes on my destination. Funny, that.

No comments: