Tuesday, January 16, 2007

OCM: wrapped up?

I still have not heard how my practicum was scored. I am hoping I passed - I think I did well enough to warrant it. I know there were a couple sections where I hit some Oracle bugs and it screwed me up a little, but I came back and didn't get sucked into the riptide.

A few things become apparent to me, as well. I really have to admit I prayed a lot during the test. =) I was reminded of St. John quoting Christ:
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

Sure, I think I am hot stuff taking this prestiguous exam, but in all reality, I have to count my blessings. I have granted unique opportunities (essentially, the opportunity to be who I am). Yes, I made choices that shape me, but I truly believe that God opened up all the doors that let me come down this path, and He closed all doors to paths I have not, or could not, traverse.

Additionally, I have to consider what passing, or even taking, this practicum is all about. I wrote about this before, but I continue to think about it. I do have a burning desire to hone my skills, recognizing that I still have a long way to go. I want to be a better DBA, and I have many role models to look up. The folks at oracle-l are awesome, and I appreciate that many experienced and intelligent people have opened up their lives a little to less us mere mortals take a peek inside and glean some beneficial morsel here and there.

No comments: